Monday, July 10, 2006

A View (Scoots Incarnate)

Today whilst at work, my coworker & I had to go to USC Housing. Fine & dandy it was, (pretty boring I almost fell asleep). Brian was computing away at a terminal trying to hookup a scanner. I was sitting in the chair in front of the desk. My head held up by hand. I looked out the window. There I saw a bunch load of kids from the USC Youth Group. I thought back to what I used to do when I was in the youth group. I used to go wherever my brother went, because well I was a very very quiet kid. Then I saw him. A kid I haven't seen since he was a toddler. His name is Tanner, but the thing about Tanner is that Tanner looks exactly like me, I'll have to get a snapshot of him and get a picture of me when I was just a little chump just like him. His face, walk, frame, and even the way how he talks. Tanner even wants to be a marine biologist, which was what I wanted to do at that age. Tanner was with his brother Hunter. From what it seemed like, the youth group was watering the gardens.

I also noticed one thing that still is rampant in the youth group. The cliques. Now that I'm older than everyone in those cliques, I could identify all the cliques. There were the "2 cool 4 school kids (a.k.a in my own terms...G-Unit kids)" These kids were the wannabe badasses that think they are the top shit because they wear their south pole T-shirts & listen to rap. These kids are pretty much top of the ladder.
Another group is the drama stars. These kids aren't all that bad. They just love to expose problems & throw salt in the wounds so to say. A mass majority of the youth group was under this. These kids dress to the popular trends, and for some reason, natives can't get enough of South Pole. So they appear to look like the "2 cool 4 school crew" but underneath the superficiality & drama, they are actually pretty cool kids.
The final group of kids are the kids that are there just to have fun. These kids appear to be either dressed in the white shirt, blue jean shorts & sandals esque type of clothing, or dressed in the darker colors. These kids keep to themselves and wait to get invited to all the group activites.

I stood up from my chair and said to Brian. "Hey, I'll be back in a 5 mins that ok?" Brian said "Yeah, I'll be right here (sigh)." I chuckeled and walked outside. I walked towards the youth group and walked up to their chaperone, Berta. Berta is the Native American Counselor at the school I attend. After talking with her about my college plans and whatnot. I ask her just like a little kid "Berta...may I go water the plants?" She laughed and gave me a water pail. I saw the 2 cool crew standing by a tree, they saw me and did the "nod". So I walked over and said "Whats up fellas?" They give me the whole "Scoooooots" title greeting. I shoot the breeze with these kids, askin them about what they've been doin & shit like that. This crew is at the point of either being active jackasses. Not to the older kids, but to the younger crew. I finally say "So where is Tanner & Hunter at?" All of a sudden I hear, "Oh that fat fuck he's over there." I retalliate by saying "Hey man! What the hell are doing callin him that?" They look at me with a scared kind of look. I stand up right next to this kid. This guy is going to be in the 9th grade, just a little guy. Let's remember that I used to be the fat pudgy little kid like Tanner, so I know what it's like to be him. To be afraid because he looks different from the rest, and from that I know how to handle little fAWKS like this kid. "I better not hear you call him that again, same for the rest of you guys, you guys are gonna be going to High School here soon, if you keep this up, you're gonna get eaten alive there, I'm just warning you guys, cutback on the name calling & you'll save yourself a lot of trouble." They stand there in silence. I walk off to go find Tanner & Hunter.

I walk on the otherside of the prarie garden and there they are. Both of them laying down on the ground lookin at a bunch of plants. I walk over casually and sit down next to them. "Hey guys, remember me?" Hunter has this puzzled look on his face, all of a sudden Tanner says "You're Scoooots!" I smile and say "Yep thats me!" Hunter, Tanner's older brother was the athletic type of kind and had more friends that Tanner. Hunter asks me "Whats your real name?" So I tell him "My name is Elliott, I work at the same place where your mom does." "Okay." Hunter says. Hunter gets up and heads into the USC Housing known as "The Big House." I'm still blown away by how much this kid looks like me. So I ask Tanner "So Tanner, what grade are you gonna be in this year?" He replies "Third..." I chuckle. Tanner asks "What?" I say "Well I remember 3rd grade for me and this one time my friend of mine Bobby and me....." After I told Tanner the story he says "Wow!" in that little kid voice. I ask "Do you have a girrrrrlllfriend Tanner?" He starts turning red and says "Noooooo!" I laugh. Tanner giggles. A good generation of vibes. "Well Tanner, I gotta get back to work but you stay cool ok? Tanner replies "Okay!" I get up and walk back into "The Big House"

I walk back into the office. Brian sitting there with the glazed eye look. "Still not workin?" I ask. "Nothin new at all..." Brian replies. I chuckle and sit back down in the chair. "Another long day ahead of us..." I say Brian nods.

No comments: